My wife recently purchased some books from Joyce Meyers. One book caught my eye and as I sat down to flip through it, something about it grabbed me and I’ve been reading it ever since. I struggle sometimes with the power of my own thoughts. When some thought starts flitting through my mind, it tends to stick and I tend to roll it over and over in my head. When these are good positive thoughts, that’s not necessarily a bad thing, however when the bad thoughts come to me as they do to all of us, then the never resting mind becomes a huge distraction to a healthy and happy life.
|Power Thoughts: 12 Strategies to Win the Battle of the Mind (9780446580366): Joyce Meyer: Books
What Joyce is trying to show us through this book is summed up in the following quote.
Where the mind goes, the man follows.
Joyce moves through 12 of what she calls Power Thoughts. Each is Biblically based and even without her commentary on each, are powerful scripture that we could all stand to pay attention to.
- I can do whatever I need to do in life through Christ.
- God loves me unconditionally!
- I will not live in fear.
- I am difficult to offend.
- I love people and I enjoy helping them.
- I trust God completely; there is no need to worry!
- I am content and emotionally stable.
- God meets all my needs abundantly.
- I pursue peace with God, myself, and others.
- I live in the present and enjoy each moment.
- I am disciplined and self-controlled.
- I put God first in my life.
I’ve already read through the first four of these as I am reading and re-reading the sections as I find each applicable in some way in my life. I think what I’ll do here on this blog is over the next few weeks (or longer) I’ll go into deeper detail on each of these and a few other points that I’ve taken from the book. Purchase the book yourself as it something worth reading and I’ll come no where near covering things as broadly and as eloquently as Joyce can.
This should be fun and will help me take what I’ve learned in this book to heart and apply them to my life.
Other posts in series: