Note: For many years now, I’ve gotten up early on January 1st and posted a recap of the previous year and a look forward to the new year on my various blogs (I write two others as well if you want to check them out, LautzOfDotNet, my technology blog and LautzOfIF, my Interactive Fiction blog). This year I thought I’d change it up a bit and do a reflection post today on New Year’s Eve and then do my normal looking forward post tomorrow.
What did 2014 bring!
As far as this blog is concerned, 2014 may be remembered for the year I dove in and spent a lot more time studying the Bible (and writing about it). Many of my posts focused on and explored a verse or two. I really enjoyed seeing how God would send me a verse, right when I needed it and when He did, writing down my thoughts came naturally. I struggled at times writing when I thought more of “I need to write a post today”….I deleted a lot of posts those days, so I tried to focus more on following God’s promptings and writing when He has something for me to share. I focused less on the politics and social aspects of my blog, which were highlighted more in years past and more on how God is moving in my life.
This year I wrote a total of 48 posts (including this one) with a high of 10 in February and a low of 0 in June. The posts seem to ebb and flow with my moods and the weather (and of course family activities).
While not the main purpose of this blog, I gained quite a few readers and followers this year also. I always enjoy when people comment or write me that they enjoy my blog, or they got some special meaning out of something I posted. So please, feel free to let me know if you like something or not, I always enjoy talking to people.
Favorite posts of 2014
Well, every post like this needs to have a list of favorite posts. So here are my top 10 favorite posts of the year (chronological order).
- Things to Do During Challenging Times – As we all will face difficult times throughout each year, this post I listed a few things to do during those time periods. This is a post I’ve gone back to a few times throughout the year to remind myself
- God, the Ultimate Software Developer – This post was one of my favorites (and not just because of the cool photo I used). It also appeared to be one of everyone’s favorites as it had the most traffic of any other post on my blog this year. I’ve reflected on this post a few times to remind myself that God works in all aspects of my life and I should be thankful for my skills that He gives me to do his work in this world.
- Be a fearless Christian – Another of my favorites. Focus around 2 Timothy 1:7. Great reminder, that we should be fearless as Christians because God has given us the power and strength that we need.
- A Plan for Success – A simple plan for success in whatever you are doing, invite God to join you.
- Thanking God for One of the Greatest Gifts – A tribute and thanksgiving to my wife on our anniversary. Love ya babe!
- A Significant Marriage – God calls us to not just have a good marriage, but to have a significant one, one that will get people to ask, ‘How do they have a such a great marriage?’
- You Can’t Take Prayer Out of School – A realization by me that no one can ever take prayer out of the schools.
- Live with Abandon – I made quite a few posts in November that made this hard to pick just a few out of that month, but this one epitomizes what I’m trying to do with my life in 2015. I called it a Year of Thanksgiving and I am living my life with abandon. (Yep 2 links for the price of 1)
- While we were sinners, Christ STILL died for us – This post was a great reminder for me that Christ didn’t wait until we all were believers to save us…no while we were still all sinners, he died for us. Great reminder to us of how we can be more like Christ in our actions to those on the margins of society.
- Roaring like a lion – What a way to end the year, finishing the year helping those in need without worrying about their history.
I hope you can take the time to explore my blog posts from this year and before. I’d love to hear what your favorite couple posts have been. Tomorrow, we’ll look forward on 2015, but for now I hope you had a blessed 2014 and please, everyone be safe tonight.
One thought on “A Look Back on 2014”