A while back I was recommended the book “Crazy Love” by Francis Chan. I purchased my copy then and it went in my to read pile where it sat for months. In fact, I had forgotten about it until recently.
This weekend I picked it up and started to read. Having just finished the first chapter, I’m completely convicted and completely feeling insignificant and undeserving. When we look at his creation, and he is the creator of everything and we see how awesome and great it is….how can we not be in awe.
If we look into the night sky and see the stars and know that there are billions of stars we can’t see, and billions of galaxies that contain billions of stars…and he created them all. We see his glory and his power through creation. When we put it into scale, we are completely insignificant. Why did he create us in this vast universe and what were we put here for? Why is his creation so vast?
I honestly don’t know, but the proof is in front of us. Our God is great and He is awesome.
R. C. Sproul wrote, “Men are never duly touched and impressed with a conviction of their insignificance, until they have contrasted themselves with the majesty of God.”
The Heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voise is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the end of the world. – Psalm 19:1-4
There is no other like Him. That is why we are called to worship him.
But why then is there times when loving God is so hard? It should be easy. But as Chan says;
It may sound “un-Christian” to say that on some mornings I don’t feel like loving God, or I just forget to. But I do. In our world, where hundreds of things distract us from God, we have to intentionally and consistently remind ourselves of Him.
Chan talks about the defining attributes of God. I won’t go into great detail, but I think they are important to mention here.
- God is Holy — God is set apart, that is what Holy means.
- God is eternal — God is outside of time. Everything has a beginning and an end…except God. How can that be? Well it’s not something I think our minds will every completely comprehend, but it’s crazy to think we have the right to limit God to something that we can comprehend.
- God is all-knowing — We can’t fool God. But think of this. The God that created the billions of galaxies, he takes the time to know all the little details of me. He knows my name. He knows the number of hairs on my head. He chooses to do know us.
- God is all-powerful — We, in fact everything was created for God. God wasn’t created for us. He doesn’t have to explain his actions to us. When we don’t understand something, we actually should know the answer…..because He’s God.
- God is fair and just — God is the only one who is good. He sets the standard. We don’t get to set our own standards. God never excuses sin and punishes it as he sees fit. The wonderful thing is, that he provides a way…through Jesus Christ, to have our sins paid for once and for all.
I’m only through chapter 1 and all this is coming at me fast. I sit here in awe of the God we worship and I realize how I’ve made God small through the way I’ve worshipped and trying to get him to do what I want. I pray I can worship him the way he deserves.